Tales from an Etsy Addict






I've mentioned here before that I love Etsy with all my heart. It's a virtual, massive craft/art fair and it is glorious. I'm a true shopping addict, in desperate need of cutting back, but it is so hard with Etsy! Especially when a bunch of my friends have their own Etsy shops... at least with them I know I am supporting a friend.

I'm always looking for a way to spread the goodness of what things I love on Etsy, so I am going to post some of my current faves here, plus some ever-important tips and things to know about shopping on Etsy. I have been shopping on the site for over four years, so I definitely know the drill. For others... Etsy may seem daunting or you may think it operates just like Amazon. Which it does not. At all. There are things to know before buying, so I will help you out!


***


ONE  ||  Handmade, not Factory made. Almost everything you find on Etsy is handmade or made by a very small business. Yes, there are larger stores that may have become bigger, but the general rule of thumb for Etsy is that this is someone's craft and it is not made in a factory or warehouse. So why does that matter? Well, handmade means that there are more things to think about before buying, as I will address. Know that these items are made by someone who cares about what they are making.

TWO  ||  Read. Please always read a shop's policies, announcements, shipping text, and all the information in the individual listings. Most of the time, everything you could ever need to know about that shop and/or item is right in there. And, this goes without saying, but every shop is not the same. They are ran by very different people, so all of their information is going to be different! Do not expect an item from one shop to be shipped with an item from another (no combination shipping here... as they are not the same place...). That may sound silly, but I have Etsy shop owning friends who have had people ask them to ship an item from their shop for free since they ordered a item from someone else the same day! Doesn't work that way, each shop is unique. Just like ordering something from Macy's does not ship with an order from Walmart :)

THREE  ||  Communication. Okay, so obviously you don't want to bombard a seller with messages, but communication for made-to-order products is hugely important, which is most of what Etsy sellers do. So! If you have any changes for the item, changes to shipping addresses, customization, or anything that is not 100% as listed, message the seller FIRST. Do not order and pay for something and then message a seller asking them to make changes. Most of the time, they prefer to make custom listings for you or they'd like to work it out AHEAD of time, before you've given them your money. Remember to not email the seller every single day though, asking when your order is shipping, that's just going to slow things down! Communication after you've received your purchase is important, too. If you are unhappy or if something got damaged in transit, talk to the seller before leaving negative feedback or opening a case. Give the seller a chance to make it right. Which leads me to the next item...

FOUR  ||  Be kind. Please, for the love of all that is holy, be kind to the seller... they are people not corporations. These Etsy shops are usually run by one person, and if they become successful, that can get extremely overwhelming. Just be nice. That is an overall bit of life advice, too, but especially for shopping on Etsy. Do not be demanding or belittling to these artisans, it's just not going to benefit anyone. If there is a delay in shipping and they communicate with you, please be open minded. In the grand scheme of things, if you do not get a candle or necklace on time, the world will not stop turning, I promise. In my experience with Etsy-seller "issues" (I use quotes because they were issues, but I didn't care about it very much), they usually have delays or shop closings because they have something going on in their personal lives. Be it a death in the family or an issue with a material supplier, patience is a virtue. Like I said, like 90% of these shops are ran by one or two people and things like that affect their shop. Most sellers have other jobs and families to support, too. Unlike Amazon or Target, where they have hundreds of staff to constantly keep the ship running. If you keep your chin up and support these Etsy sellers, you will feel better and so will they.

FIVE  ||  Enjoy! You just bought something on Etsy? Congrats! You've just bought an item from a hard working craftsman! You are going to get compliments all the time. You are wearing or using something unique and that is rad. Why not leave a review for that seller? Feedback is great to use as a buyer, too, so be sure to share your love and happy experience for everyone to see. I seriously cherish everything I buy on Etsy, whether made by someone I know or by a complete stranger from another state or country. I have made friends with Etsy sellers even, it's wonderful! Etsy is a great community and now that you've shopped and bought something, you're part of that community, too :)


***


Alright, now that you get the idea of how to have a great experience with Etsy, here are some of most recent finds. I have way too many list as my faves, but here are a few (yes, Disney sprinkled throughout, #sorrynotsorry)!


Cafe Forty Seven drinkware // Juniper and Ivy earrings // Teacup Piranha poster 
One Little Spark of Inspiration tees // Designs by Nicolina tee 
Crabby Squid posters // Plexida crotchet bow


Of course, you know I have posted a whole Etsy gift guide before the Holidays, where you can find more of my picks. A quick shoutout to my other favorites: Riverside Manor, Walter&Rosie, Wooden Leg Named Smith, and ParkBound!! 



Happy Shopping!


***






Popular Posts