Another January in the Books

* Good February to all! *


I apologize for my absence the past couple of weeks, 2015 has gotten off to a busy start. I can finally announce on here that I have moved up at the museum and I am now working in the Director's Office! It is pretty exciting, though that means I am more likely to miss blogging here and there. Also, I have been working on more essays for Obvi, We're the Ladies, which has been really fun -- last week's essay was a part of our elders-loving week, so I wrote about what I learned from my late Grandma Jo Jo. I hope you read and enjoy it - it was very personal to me and I wanted to properly share her memory :)

Since I have been MIA most of the month, I am going to share some of the things I have been enjoying, whether it is an item I love or a link I want to share:


***




EMMA STONE   ||    I used be indifferent to Emma Stone, thinking she was trying too hard or something, but my opinion has changed recently. I think this Awards Season (which I love, you'll see) has already converted me to a definite fan. Her red carpet wittiness, and recognition of the awkwardness of it, is hilarious and relate able. Oh, and most importantly, her awards attire has been fabulous so far! Her SAG Awards dress was FLAWLESS. I am obsessed with it. I darted to my closet and deemed my black blazer close enough so I wore it immediately on the next day.




iPHONE 6   ||   I joined the iPhone game a few years ago with the release of the iPhone 4s, I subsequently had the iPhone 5 after shattering that 4s a year or so later. But, after the 5, I thought I was cool and tried an Android (LG G2)... while it was thinner and bigger, I learned that I preferred the Apple platform, yeah yeah whatever. So! A couple weeks ago, I caved and got the iPhone 6 - not the 6 plus because that thing is just too big for my little thumb-span. It is more comfortable to operate for me and it has met my expectations. Oh, and the gold is pretty. See mirror selfie above - though it is more acceptable because I am using a mirrored armoire in the museum.




DOWNTON ABBEY   ||    I am a Downton fan, have been since the beginning, and I am very proud of them so far this Awards Season! Though they are big in my heart, they had fallen off the awards circuit lately... but they're back! Last season took on some big stories and people on this side of the pond noticed. I was incredibly happy for Joanne Froggatt, as she won Best Supporting Actress at the Golden Globes! Her role as Anna Bates last season totally deserved such recognition. And her speech was amazing. She mentioned how after the episodes aired, she received letters from survivors of rape and she called out one who said she just wanted someone to hear her story. Joanne said, “And I’d just like to say ‘I heard you’ and I hope saying this so publicly means in some way you feel the world hears you." It was touching and important - brava Joanne! Oh, and the cast won Outstanding Ensemble in a Drama Series at the SAG Awards! The new season, which just began here in the US is interesting so far... not sure what to make of it all, but I'm enthralled, as always. Long live Downton!





BASIN   ||   A non-Disney, Disney-located item, well how about that! At Downtown Disney and the Grand Floridian resort (and Vegas, but shhhh) you can find this amazing bath and beauty store. I have just begun my Basin shopping, but after my friends all mentioned how much they loved it, I decided to give it a try. I bought a little barrel of shampoo/conditioner bars. That's right, bars of shampoo and conditioner! I ordered them on Thursday and they came on Saturday, that's impressive shipping. So I had my first wash with them and my crazy hair was noticeably different. It was fun to shake up my shower experience and great to see results right away. My hair was softer while washing/rinsing and much more manageable while combing it afterwards. My hair is silkier once air dried, too! For those of you who have never seen my afro in person, I have ridiculously thick, frizzy, curly hair. Most of the time the curls aren't even pretty. It's a mess. But I like these bars so far! I bought the Good Hair Day shampoo and conditioner, which smelled the clean grapefruit and was a fun pink color, and the Hair Food chocolate-smelling shampoo and conditioner that is specifically for my type of hair. I tried the pink ones first, duh -- can't wait to try the Hair Food ones, as they are supposedly even better for my type of wild hair. Stay tuned...





EMMA WATSON   ||   So more Emma love! I love Emma Watson, no news there, but ummmmm... did you hear the news? She is officially going to play BELLE in the live-action Beauty and the Beast that will go into production later this year. Oh my glob. This is amazing. Now she is going to play both my favorite fictional women! Both Hermione and Belle are smart book worms and they stick up for what they believe in. Both girls choose to love who they want, regardless of easy, more popular options (yes, I am comparing Ron Weasly to the Beast). I am pretttttttttty excited. And I will continue to ignore naysayers who think Emma, a feminist, should never play a Disney princess. Just no. Read my thoughts on this elsewhere, but I am glad Emma is doing this project!

***

Well, I am excited for February, as it means Spring is quickly approaching... though, as I type this, it's a blizzard... soooo. February also marks a challenging month for me - I am going to do a NO SPEND February. Yup, no shopping for me and limiting other unnecessary expenses. It is going to be fun... ugh. Wish me luck!


Happy February!

***









Popular Posts