Artwork of the Week (Squishy Jesus ftw!)

Well, since it was just Jesus' birthday not too long ago (I think, right?), I figured I would revive my Artwork of the Week. It has been far too long, and for that I apologize. But, I come back with this gem:

Infant Christ, unknown Polish artist, 1480, tempera and gold on panel, National Museum in Warsaw

A friend of mine (actually Matti used to be one of my wonderful managers at MCA, holla!) has a blog aptly named The Squishy Jesus Taxonomy. You may have seen this Buzzfeed list of "39 Renaissance Babies Who Can't Even", which is wildly amusing, but Matti has been documenting these fat, strange-lookin' Jesus babies (and his posse) long before Buzzfeed. Anywho, I saw this one posted and figured it would be as good as any to feature for my Christmasy Artwork of the Week, because isn't Jesus the reason for the season? Probably.

Matti said this about this wonderful image
"Okay, so this is a pretty fascinating depiction of a medieval baby walker, but no one's going to convince me that the rubbery worm-person pushing it is baby Jesus, or any sort of human baby at all....."
I love it! Seriously, why can no Medieval or Renaissance artist get them proportions right? I think they did this on purpose, so we could all have a good chuckle centuries later! I will just leave this image here for you to ponder... oh, and I highly encourage you to travel over to Matti's blog and see many more bizarre child Christ posts to quench your Jesus art thirst this Holiday season.


Share some of your favorite Jesus images!
***





Popular Posts