The Buzz

I'm back with The Buzz for this week! With the Holidays in full swing, we have all gotten busy. Whether you are shopping, baking, decorating, traveling, or visiting, we all have the pedal to the metal during this festive season. For me, this time of year is the busiest for my department at work, what with holiday memberships and end of year giving... we went from the usual 250 acknowledgment letters a week to 600... at the number was figured on TUESDAY. Sooooo, I've been busy ;) Which means some things fall by the wayside, like cleaning, groceries, and sometimes blogging (I've been naughty on that bit, don't tell Santa!)... but you have to fit it all in somehow. The past couple of weeks, the only thing I wanted to do at the end of the workday was to plop down on the couch and binge Law & Order SVU. 

I do enjoy the chaos and the extra stress the Holidays can bring, call me strange, but it's true! I finished all my shopping last week and some of the more crafty gifts were finished yesterday. I did purty good, I'd say. It is good that I finished all that since we are hitting the road to Chicago on Saturday morning! We will be there for a whole six days and I couldn't be more excited to spend the Holidays with our families. I'll make sure to document our travels in an upcoming post, stay tuned! Now onto The Buzz:


Looking for a belated gift? 


// Here's another new online shop I have fallen love with: Timber and Rag. They are still building their sure to be amazing collection, but what they have so far is perfectly rustic and delightful. My favorite is this Bilingual Cheese Board, handcrafted and chic. I can't wait to buy one! And, as a special treat for all you Curated Life readers, you can use the code CURATED for a special discount in the shop (code good between 12/19 thru 1/4). Keep in mind, these will be post-xmas orders, treat yo self after the Holidays, you earned it!


*


Kidz Gettin' Their Rave On...

This Is What It Looks Like When A Bunch Of Elementary School Kids Rave Together In NYC

// Guys, this GIF gives me life. So. Much. Life. The video it comes from is cute, but the Buzzfeed article on it is what gets me. Why does Buzzfeed understand my humor so well? Anywho, this is a party place (I assume) called CirKiz where it is basically a mini club or rave. I would have loved to awkwardly dance here as a wee lass! 

Yes, I am still watching this GIF.


*


A Poignant Read:



// In case you didn't know, I do occasionally write for another great blog called Obvi We're the Ladies.  Please do yourself a flavor and check out the mission of that great group of women - they inspire me every single day. I have written two pieces so far and am currently working on another. The essays posted every couple of days are unbelievably smart, witty, and real. 

Today, my friend Madelaine Walker wrote this spot-on piece about a hot topic, so poignantly titled : "Our discomfort in public space warrants your concern whether or not we are your daughters". She hits the nail on the head about how so many of the women I know feel about being objectified and harassed in public. 

Yes, we all know about the viral conversation starting video of the woman walking around NYC being heckled by men. I shook my head in disbelief when I read the comments of strangers (men AND women), and even more shockingly, the comments of people I know, that did not understand the "big deal" of what these men were saying to this woman. I'm not going to get up on any soap box here, not going to preach, but read this essay Madelaine wrote for Obvi, I really identify with her sentiments:"I’m not worried about being called obnoxious or oversensitive. I know how to take a compliment when I hear one, and this kind of attention is not complimentary. It is unsettling and disruptive. It feels malicious." 

I too have been heckled too many times when I lived in Chicago. I've been heckled here in Ohio, too. I've been robbed and targeted as a woman. I've had that man take photos of me on my way to work. It is exhausting to be looking over my shoulder every time when I'm in the city, trying not to look too bothered while still disengaging from those gawking eyes or words. It is no fun - I'll leave it at that.


*


Well, that was a long one... here's a cute dog!


// Enjoy. This reminds me of Jack so much - he would act the exact same as this cutie!




I hope you all enjoy this week before Christmas! For my Jewish friends, Happy Hanukkah!

*** 



Popular Posts