October Checklist



Yay! October is in full swing, which is fantastic because I love the Fall (as if I never mentioned that before...) and all the fun things to do in October - plus it means my birthday (November 5th) and the holiday season is around the corner. I have a running list in my noggin of what I want to make sure I do this month, so I figured I would document it here for safe keeping and to hold myself to it! 




*




I work at an awesome place - The Toledo Museum of Art. One of our members programs is a glassblowing mini-class, where we feature one project a month. My favorite project is always the pumpkins! Last year, Nick and I made our little glass mini pumpkins, as pictured above (mine is on the left, solid - Nick's is on the right, speckled), and I definitely want to make them again. For a reasonable $25, you get make the glass treasure yourself and it is super fun. I can't wait to add to my little pumpkin patch!





Obviously, going to a pumpkin patch in October is a must-do! I usually go with family, but this year it will be just Nick and I. We know we definitely want to make jack-o-laterns, but I also love buying little pumpkins, gourds, and Indian corn. My coworker also suggested using the small pumpkins for a a fun recipe; you hollow out and cut off the top of the mini pumpkin, baking it, and then filling with a soup/stew for a fun meal on a brisk day. How cute and delish does that sound? I will definitely post a recipe here once I plan it!




photo courtesy of the Toledo City Paper
Applebutter festivals are popular around here, so I am excited to visit one or two this month! There is one this upcoming weekend at the apple orchard we visited last weekend and then there is one in two weekends, which we have heard is bigger and more popular. I kind of want to try both! Why not, right? :)




Photo courtesy of Fort Meigs
Nick and I went to this spooky event at Fort Meigs last year and it was a lot of fun! You take a tour of the grounds, stopping occasionally around a campfire where a docent tells a ghost story that relates to either the War of 1812, the area, the Fort itself, etc. Some stories aren't that great, naturally, but there were a few enthusiastic docents that were fabulous storytellers... plus, who doesn't like a warm campfire on a crisp October night? It was a unique way to spend an evening together! We cannot wait to go back this year.





photo courtesy of The Examiner
Oh, last but not least... OUR DISNEY TRIP! I am a huge Disney Parks fan and Disney World is one of my most favorite places on the planet. I have never went for Halloween before, I usually only go in July/August (aside from one time I went in December before Christmas, which was great!). We are visiting all four parks, and making a special trip to Magic Kingdom for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party! And we will also be stopping by the new Harry Potter (Diagon Alley) and Hogsmeade (we went there the Summer it opened, but we have to go again... by Hogwarst Express, of course) at Universal Studios. It is going to be a busy trip, but an amazing one no less! Expect to see plenty o' pictures ;)



What are your October plans?
****




Popular Posts