Five Things I Learned: In the Work Force

I've been a worker bee since I was 15, working at Pirates' Cove (a pirate-themed children's park in my hometown). As I entered college, I took the first semester off to settle in and get into the whole college groove thing. But the second that next semester started my freshmen year, I began working for a museum in the city. Then I got an internship at another museum. And from there... I was pretty much working multiple jobs for the rest of my college career, at one point I was working three jobs at a time (in addition to classes). It is hard to super ambitious with your jobs while you are still limited in terms of time; I simply could not work a full time position with my senior year schedule. Then I found out that Nick and I would be moving to the Toledo-area for his grad school... that changed a lot for my mentality, as I knew I couldn't start making that transition into a full time position at I place I was already working at. All I could do was apply for jobs from a far, to a city I had never even been to, which had a very small market for museum careers. But still, I was diligent in my search and applications. Luckily, not long after moving, I was able to get a part time job at the museum. And six months later, I was promoted to a full time gig... not too shabby! Now, as I am six months into that job, I wanted to share some things I have learned thus far.


Note: these are five things from a NEWBIE in the work force, of course!



ONE   ||   Smile. Positivity starts with a smile! I try to keep this in mind, I think I probably have RBF (resting biatch face), but remembering to smile is heaps better. This is good for life, yes, but especially good for the workplace. When I think of successful coworkers at the museum, I think of their *smiling* faces, so that must mean something. This is also especially important when you are first starting your job and as you meet people - smiling is a sure fire way to start off your relationships on the right foot... and you'll appreciate the good relationship as you try to work your way up the ladder!

TWO   ||   Ask Questions. Be inquisitive when starting a new job, and then throughout your time as you learn and grow there. I know I felt like I was annoying when I would have to ask a lot of questions, but I was always reminded by the person that it was good that I was asking. I'm still relatively new on the block in my position and I am still asking questions. Last week, I asked so many questions, I thought my head would explode, but the person I was asking most of them to (someone in a much higher position than I) applauded my thoroughness. So, hey, explosion avoided! If you do this, within reason of course, it shows that you are always willing to learn and take direction. Also, when you are asking why something is done the way it is, it shows that you are really thinking about process and figuring out ways to possibly improve them. Again, there are ways of asking questions that may not put you in a positive light, but if you are being genuine and thoughtful, no one could fault you (they would admire you)!

THREE   ||   Enjoy Meetings. I know, I know... I am a new kid here, but I think meetings can be really fun and exciting! Many people, especially those who are 5, 10, 25 years into their careers, will tell you that meetings are boring or time wasting, and I already know that some can be. But, it can be empowering and satisfying to watch how things work in your meetings, how wheels turn and things happen. Again, I am still fresh and feeling like everything is magical, but sometimes I will just get so darn proud in a meeting - proud of myself for getting here and proud of our mission/plan/progress/etc.  It is good to take a step back while sitting in your meeting and realize how cool your place of work is.

FOUR   ||   Find What Gets You Goin'. Finding yourself in a midday/midweek slump? Feeling slightly uninspiring or sluggish in your work flow? Find that thing(s) that get you going! For me, sometimes it is crafting that perfect Spotify playlist or taking a five-minute break to walk around the galleries. But, if those don't get you pumped up, perhaps you require a quick walk outside or a fresh cup of tea. Whatever does it for you, find it and whip out as your secret weapon when you need it. Knowing what gets your creative and productive juices flowing is super useful, especially on that Friday afternoon when half the office is out and your mind goes dim.

FIVE   ||   Never Give Up. I know I didn't have to solider on for very long before receiving my ideal opportunity, but I know it was my mentality that got me there so fast. Even when I was in college and unable to work a full time job, I was always very persistent for the little opportunities I had. I searched every website, job board, and listing there was. I researched directors of museums and studied the paths they took to get where they are (I highly recommend doing this for your field/dream job). I was always sending out my resume and crafting each cover letter to fit each position. I was always following up with contacts and asking professors/friends/peers for advice and connections. Yes, timing plays an important role in career opportunities, but sometimes you can create that timing if you work hard enough. Last year, I was applying to every full time position that opened up, even if I wasn't extremely qualified for it... it was about exposure and persistence. I was sure I was bordering on annoying for HR, but my attitude was calm and determined (with hints of wit, of course). Finally, the hard work paid off, but I am far from done! Ambitious people always find another path to clear, challenges to accept, and victories to be won! The future can be so exciting :)


Have any advice to add?

Feel free to ask questions, too!

***





Popular Posts