Apples For Days

Another beautiful Fall weekend here in the Midwest! Yesterday, Nick and I had fun at an apple orchard pickin' apples and climbing trees. We filled up our half bushel bag, and man was it heavy! We also had to stand in a really long, hot (in a tiny shop with no air circulation and sweaty people) line to buy some delicious apple cider doughnuts. We bought a dozen, most are already gone, and now we are wondering how we can get our hands on more! With a crazy amount of apples, and not enough time to eat them all, I am on the search for some fun ways to use these apples! I think I am going to go the traditional route and make a yummy pie, but I also want to try my hand at apple butter, applesauce, and maybe my own apple cider doughnuts! I am going to share my results with you all later this week, but here are the recipes I am going to try:



// Applesauce!

I love a good excuse to use mason jars!
I am going to try this recipe from The Pioneer Woman - I want to make sure 
I add plenty of spice and cinnamon, I like some a.sauce with zing!


*


// DOUGHNUTS.

Can I eat these right through the screen?
Sally's Baking Addiction has a great recipe and her images really sell it.
Seems easy enough, but I have never baked doughnuts before, so wish me luck!


*


// Good Ol' Apple Pie

"Merica!
I may just start with this Pillsbury recipe, since again, I have never baked a pie before. 
I know I am definitely going to start with premade crust, maybe someday I will advance to 
dough from scratch. I have made mini apple tartlets before (with premade puff pastry dough) 
and they were a hit with my coworkers. I hope to bake a winner again!



Wish me luck in my baking adventures, I hope to put these apples to good use and expand my baking skillz in the process. If you have any recipes to share with me, or ideas of what to do with all my apples, please share away in the comments section! 




While I wait, I think I will go have another
 doughnut from yesterday's orchard fun. 
***





Popular Posts