Hello, September!

I had an extra long weekend for the holiday and I am certainly not too excited to go back to work tomorrow. Sigh. But at least I only have three days until the weekend, right? I cannot believe it is already September, but I can't say I'm too sad, because Fall is the best. I've already mentioned my love for Fall fashion, but it isn't just the layers that get me pumped... it's all the Fall fun to be had! Pumpkin patches, apple picking, ghost walks, and of course I will be stomping on some leaves (I love that crrrrunch sound). But before I plan for the festivities, I wanted to share some of Labor Day weekend with you!


Apparently I have a thing for the blues and stripes... who knew!



We left for Chicago on Friday morning. If you didn't know, I am originally from the Chicago-area! We are living in the Toledo-area for the time being, but we travel to Chicago every couple months or so, mostly for holidays or special events. We hadn't been in town since June, for Nick's sister's engagement party (where she asked me to be a bridesmaid!). I figured it was a good time to come in, for Labor Day weekend, to cap off the Summer and because I had off work and Nick had off grad school. I only had to take Friday and Tuesday off as PTO, so it was perfect! 



The beauty of the Bristol Renaissance Faire when it is overcast and early (before the crowds).

Jerky with my Jerky! Hehe, sorry Nick.



Our first item on the Chicago-Summer checklist was the Bristol Renaissance Faire, just barely over the Wisconsin State Line. I've been going pretty much every year since I was a wee lass (had to get theme-y for ya). Well, actually the first items on the checklist are always food. I seriously cannot stress enough how much I miss Chicago food staples. I always have to my rounds when we are in for longer than 36 hours (as we were in June, ugh): I need to eat PIZZA (not the places they have here in Toledo, it's not the pizza I am used to), Portillo's hot dog, and Johnnie's Beef. I also seek out Chevy's, Russell's, and Gene and Jude's (interchangeable with Portillo's, probably more preferable). Anywho, back to the photo on the left! Here we are looking so darn adorable with our leathery jerky in hand. A woman told me she liked my dress and gave me an extra free ticket she had. It was awesome. Thanks J. Crew ;)




Not the same kind of Hotshop we are used to in Toledo! :)


We saw a couple of shows at ye olde Faire (can't resist). We saw a really cheesy swordsmen show, a joust (pictured below), a parade, random sword fighting in the "street", and this glassblowing demonstration! I am not new to the whole glassblowing world, as the Toledo Museum of Art (where I proudly work) is famous for its glass and the newer-addition to the campus, the Glass Pavilion! We have daily demonstrations and I've even tried my hand at blowing glass... it's crazy difficult. This man was really passionate about what he does -- he runs a successful shop in LA and yet he still came to the Midwest to demo at the Faire! Loved it.



How cute it my Ma? My hair was not cooperating with the brief rain spell.




Fun was had by all and the rain pretty much held out the whole time we were there, which is fantastic because the forecast was not that nice. We met a really large jester, when we posed for the photo, she (yes, she apparently) was saying "tickle, tickle, tickle!" as she indeed tickled Nick. It was hilarious.





Later that Saturday night, Nick's family had a family BBQ. It was a long day as you can see! But it was so nice to see all of Nick's family and enjoy the great weather. We don't often get to relax in a backyard with a bonfire and family, so we absolutely loved it. Jack, our pup, did too... he spent the entire weekend outdoors basically and he had a ball! He isn't used to too many people, so the big party was a lot for him, but he was cute as usual and he had a good time. Oh, and of course I used the party as an excuse to do a wardrobe change and wear my Lilly Pulitzer Super Sale find! This is my first Lilly, too.









On Sunday, we had less planned, since Saturday was slightly crazy! I had breakfast with my Ma and then we went to September Fest in Schaumburg (a Chicago suburb), pictured to the left. We wandered the craft fair and played Bingo, which is my favorite September Fest activity! I totally won Bingo, as well... I'm pretty much an old lady trapped in a 22's body. Later that day, I went over to Nick's family's house again to just relax and hang out, since my Mom was at a Luke Bryan concert at Soldier Field... whatever! ;)


Sigh, heading back to good ol' Ohio.

After a whirlwind of a weekend, it was time to head home. My last stop before we loaded up the car with  our bags and the pup, I had breakfast on Monday with my best friend since first grade, Tommy. It was great to catch up, and it was well overdue... especially since he is moving to CALIFORNIA this week! I am really proud of him for getting out there and working hard to reach his dream. It takes guts and he's got em. I was happy to see him before he leaves (he has been making the goodbye rounds all week long, haha) and wish him all the luck in the world! After breakfast, we hit the road. This toll stop is always cruel, but honestly I was glad to be back "home" -- home is where all my stuff is ;)


It was a great trip, busy, but I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm glad I took today off to decompress, I needed it. Now back to the grind, but at least my favorite season is underway! And next month we head to Disney World... my most favorite place on earth! You can look forward to a post on that, mwahaha. But for now, it's on to Fall and all the fun that awaits.




I hope everyone had a great weekend 
and is chugging along through the rest of the week!
***





Popular Posts