Artwork of the Week

I'd like to introduce a (sort of)new feature that I will post weekly (as the title implies): ARTWORK OF THE WEEK. I started this blog in January, but quickly abandoned it until August. I started with an Artwork of the Day posted every few days, and I definitely want to reinstate this on a weekly basis. This series will entail a selected artwork, it could literally be anything from a Rococo painting to an architectural masterpiece. I will try to vary the medium/genre a bit so I'm not a broken record... but I will be posting with the wind, I tend to get excited about certain works on whim. Also, please feel free to comment with your suggestions, whether it be a particular work or period or artist etc. Well, here we go!




Ok, I cheated! This was the first work I posted in January, but I figured I would repost this beautiful work to get the juices flowing again! This is one of the most famous French Rococo paintings out there: Jean-HonorĂ© Fragonard, The Swing, oil on canvas, 1767

Commissioned by a notorious French libertine, Baron de St. Julien, Fragnoard took on a peculiar request. The Baron wanted Fragonard to depict his mistress on a swing, being pushed by a bishop. He wanted himself featured in the painting, too, requesting that he was placed in good view of the madame's legs. Weirdo. Word on the street is that the playboy Baron asked around before commissioning Fragonard, but was turned down by more "serious" artists of the day. But Fragonard took the Baron up on his offer, as this was what the French Rococo style was all about! Rococo was all for the over-extravagance and playfulness - focusing on the sensual over the intellectual. The Swing is lighthearted and erotic, encompassing the mood of the French Rococo. The frivolity of this work, and the many other Rococo works, often faced harsh criticism from Enlightenment thinkers for its gaiety. I say, shut it! There are all different genres and periods, some you like and some you don't... but that's subjective artistic expression for ya -- you can't get mad about it. 

On an aesthetic and technical level,  this painting is just beautiful. The Rococo details and color palette are gentle and pacifying. The whispy, atmospheric details pair nicely with those delicate and delicious pastels. The lighting through the lush greenery is ethereal while it brings our straight to the girl's fair skin and gorgeous dress. Another reason why I love French Rococo paintings? The fashion. It's amazing! And it is such a great way to capture what these frivolous ladies wore in 1767. Just like I have made a whole post about the fashion of Kate Middleton, these paintings serve as the fashion magazine and google images of their day.

I also love this painting right now because of its animated cameo in Disney's Frozen! During "For the First Time in Forever", Anna sings and floats around the castle, stopping and posing with a few famous paintings, including our very own The Swing. See for yourself....



I squealed like a little giddy puppy when I saw this during the song! I mean, c'mon! My favorite worlds (art and Disney) collided in a beautiful musical act, wonderful. So, yes, this was pretty sweet to see.

There is so much more I could add to this post, discussing more French Rococo and more Frozen, but I am going to leave it at that, a little taste du jour!

Are you a Fragonard fan?
***





Popular Posts